The hiatus will end soon

short brake-Goblinbyte.jpg
  Good day everyone and I would like to send my sincerest apologies for the length of time between posts.  As I talked about before with the hud foreclosure my wife and I purchased back in September, along with all the home remodeling required to make it livable, finding time has been difficult.  To increase that stress, work has been a bit intense, with good reason, and for good reasons that I am beyond excited about.  From workstation refreshes, to server virtualization, SAN installation, and server migration, my plate has been extremely full.  Lets go over the current state of everything to show the light at the end of this tunnel.

gross house-goblinbyte.jpg  For the house, the state that it was in was, to say the least, dismal.  All of the carpets looked as if they were never cleaned, had stains through them from various fluids, and some of those fluids carried through to the plywood underneath.  All of the walls had both holes and stains, resulting in a very unsettling mess of countless horrors.  To top that whole terrifying mess off, a bunch of wiring throughout the house was either cut straight through the floor in random fashions, balled up masses of spaghetti, and quite horrendous.  As an IT professional I have to say the wiring was a bit of a bother for me.  The electrical in multiple places had exposed wiring, as well as permanent connections to the breaker box, making it impossible to shut off some lights or fans.  Terrifying fire hazards there.  The previous owner also took the liberty of kicking in all the doors, and stripping the copper from any part he could get his hands on, before the cops arrived of course.

remodeled house-goblinbyte.jpg  How is it now then?  All of the carpet has been removed from the house, all of the holes have been patched, all the dated lighting that was either hard wired to the breaker, or malfunctioning in some fashion have been removed or replaced.  The HVAC unit, and appliances have all been replaced and/or installed.  Our dingy carpet has been replaced with a pecan laminate throughout most of the house.  Most of the rooms have had this treatment done to them, there are two side bedrooms that have not been touched yet as, its just my wife and I at this point, and we are eager to get in as soon as possible, we are on our final project, replacing the walls in the bathroom with a waterproof solution.  As well as getting a nice new wood tile to replace the dated looking white squares and chipped flooring.  Withing the next 2 weeks we will finally be in this house, affording me the opportunity to turn my computer back on and get back to work typing up new posts more frequently.

  The basement houses a large corner that already has three dell workstations sitting in for experimental and demonstrative purposes.  With the amount of space set up, I will be afforded the ability to set back up my microphone and protools set up, and I may, or may not, start producing YouTube videos to put on GoblinByte to use as another educational and news based outlet to share with everyone.  This is the part I'm most excited about, being able to have a large lab to play around with, as well as a large space to start making videos.

server smile-goblinbyte.jpg  What about the state of work?  Our current environment is running at a forest function level of Windows 2000, quite shameful I know, but these old servers are being replaced with Gen9 HP servers, a full 8Gb Fiberoptic network, RAID 50 SAN giving us 10.4TB of storage, and a boat load of other goodies.  We are going from the realm of physical servers, into the world of virtualization, running VMWare and Server 2012 R2 across the whole lot.

  Now to be honest this is my first full server migration and refresh it is not just providing a massive amount of new lessons to learn, but it is also giving me quite a bit more enjoyment at work.  This is what I do, I am a tech geek who loves this stuff, and being given this opportunity to play, yes play, with this great new technology is awesome.  All of this is another reason why the posts have been so sporadic lately.

   Whats the light at the end of the tunnel?  The house is nearly completed, we will be moving in and having week end projects to complete those other two bedrooms before we can officially say the house is complete, but those can be finished at any time, We will be in a house soon.  The servers will be an ongoing learning project, but will be in place completely, and fully migrated within a week or two, the knowledge I gain from this project will be shared and given back to those who follow this blog, with the house this may mean I can share this information in a video form.

  In summary, I will be coming back soon, and I will be posting better content of both the recent knowledge gained, as well as that from the projects that will be implemented soon.  I am grateful for everyone's patience with me and look forward to sharing better things in the near future.  If you have any comments questions or concerns let us know in the comment section below, and as always be safe my fellow goblins.
SHARE

About Unknown

    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

1 comments:

  1. Good to hear that this is coming along for you and your wife. Looks as if you'll be wrapping up in time for the holidays.

    Best of luck on what remains.

    ReplyDelete