Why Do Wireless Routers Offer 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz Connections?

   Wireless routers are commonly offering two channels for you to broadcast with, 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.  Which is better to use, should you use both or just one?  That'll all depend on your environment, actually.  The reality is that as more people have wireless devices, the 2.4 band is getting more crowded.  As anyone who's used radios or CBs before, when multiple devices are using the same frequency, signals cross or create interference.  While there are channels allowed to help fine-tune the signal, there are only a few options.


   While the 5Ghz band makes more sense for modern devices and has increased bandwidth, why isn't it used more and the 2.4 band still offered?  5Ghz isn't great for indoor spaces with walls or with a lot of space.  Walls will cut the signal and the signal will also lose strength over distance faster than 2.4 will.  Lastly, not all devices will connect to 2.4.

   A few months ago I tried myself using just 5Ghz in my house, disabling the 2.4 band.  That proved to be a bad idea as my desktop computer quickly lost connection (it's wireless because my wife won't let me run cables, sad panda).  I had to access the router from my phone to turn the 2.4 back on.  Needless to say, a bit embarrassing not realizing that at first.  I also had to stand in the same room as the router with my phone as anywhere else in the house, it lost the signal due to the walls inside.

   After that snafu, I still broadcast both 2.4 and 5 to offer the most flexibility.  With a router running both frequencies, it means it is using more power, so that is also something to keep in mind.  I don't know about you, but I'm still waiting for my wireless router to also charge my phone wirelessly.  It's gonna happen!  And as always, stay safe goblins!
SHARE

About Jimmy R. Tassin

Jimmy Tassin is the IT Manager of Midwest Regional Bank and has been involved with the Technology field for over thirteen years. His two hobbies are overseeing the daily operations of OmniKraft, a Minecraft server community, and writing at Goblinbyte.com.
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment