Monday Quickie, Podcast Podium

   Happy Monday!  If you're like me, you have the day off as we're working at somewhere that recognizes federal holidays.  Woo banking!  If you're still working today, I feel for ya while I'm on the golf course (not really, never played golf).  Today's quickie is all about podcasts!  One reason I got into technology is because I love learning, and I follow a lot of podcasts to learn about new stuff on a regular basis.  I'll be sharing what I listen to!  Not all the podcasts I listen to is technology based, so keep that in mind and I'll include a brief description for each one and a link to the site.


99% Invisible [link]

I listen to this podcast as they are short (generally less than 30 min) and discuss quite a bit about one topic per show, focusing on topics that are "invisible" to most of us so we can understand what's going on.

Common Sense / Hardcore History [link]

Both shows are quite long per episode (over an hour), but offers some interest insights in the topics covered and brings up a lot of points that makes me re-think about what I know.  It can be quite a dense podcast at times, going heavily in depth in the topics, but if you have the time to digest the episodes, they are great philosophical talks.

Freakonomics [link]

This is all about getting economists to evaluate many aspects of society in new ways.  While I'm not an economist, I gives me an interesting perspective on many topics I don't think about or take for granted.

Future Is [link]

Discussing topics about technology and life in general for the future, and evaluating current tech and how that could adapt and change us for the future.

Radiolab [link]

Is about curiosity and learning.  The podcast covers a huge range of topics and is another philosophical-style show.  

Risky Business [link]

One of my favorite technology and security focused podcasts.  They do a great job talking about top news in security every week as well as reviews with the top minds in security.  Absolutely essential for anyone who has to handle security for their networks.  That should be almost all of you, really.

Security Now [link]

Another good security focused show.  While the talks can take a more paranoid-type view of security and not all the tips are realistic for network security, they do a good job explaining top security topics and what it means to us individually.

Tech News Today [link]

This is a daily 45 min podcast talking about various technology news.  A good job summarizing what's happened and the one thing I really like about this one is they actually talk to the reports who write the stories.

TED Radio Hour [link]

This show pulls together numerous TED talks per show as they relate to that show's topic.  I like listening to this one because I'm a big fan of TED, and it's nice to listen to pieces of different talks in one comprehensive episode.

The Arkham Sessions [link]

This is all about psychology as it applies to Batman: The Animated Series.  I was a huge fan of this cartoon series when it played in the 90's and it's fun to listen to them evaluate episodes and characters from a psychologist perspective.

The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe [link]

While this is a longer show, the hosts do a great job evaluating a lot of science and pseudo-science topics to provide a analytical view.  I use this to help balance my views of the world and science over all.

The Tim Ferris Show [link]

Tim does a great job interviewing the top performers today to see what makes them tick and to provide useful information and tips for all of us to improve our lives in some way.  I've gained a lot of helpful advice from the show that has improved me both professionally and personally.

Windows Weekly [link]

A weekly podcast about Windows.  Discussing topics big and small regarding Microsoft and Windows, it's been helpful many times personally and professionally.  This is a longer show, about a hour and a half on average, so you'll need some good time set aside every week to listen to this.

   I hope you'll get a lot out of these podcasts as I have.  There are tons of information to be learned from these podcasts and will require quite a lot of time comittment to get the most out of them, but for those like me who love to learn, I'm sure you'll fine some time to tune in.  Have a fire-free week and stay safe goblins!
SHARE

About Jimmy R. Tassin

Jimmy Tassin is the IT Manager of Midwest Regional Bank and has been involved with the Technology field for over thirteen years. His two hobbies are overseeing the daily operations of OmniKraft, a Minecraft server community, and writing at Goblinbyte.com.
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment